Following the completed acquisition of 20th Century Fox and other related media assets last month, it was only a matter of time before Disney begins showing them off alongside its other subsidiaries. That time came with the 2019 Cinema-Con film industry trade show, running Monday to Thursday this week at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas.
Off the bat, Disney chairman Alan Horn spoke of the sheer cinematic firepower that is “Disney and Fox combined” in future. He says during his opening address, “We are truly excited because we believe that together we will be more than the sum of our parts. It’s just an unbelievable collection…coming from bold visionary filmmakers…”
- Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) is fairly confident she can beat Thanos (Josh Brolin) and rubs all the surviving Avengers the wrong way.
- Thor (Chris Hemsworth) tests Marvel/Carol by summoning Stormbreaker close to her head (like in the trailer).
- Nebula (Karen Gillian) and Rocket (Bradley Cooper) volunteer locations where Thanos may be; the former knows where he might be resting while the latter discovers another world that had its life population halved (ie. Thanos).
- X-Men: Dark Phoenix – This is the final installment of Fox’s “X-Men” reboot (from “First Class”) before MCU possibly integrates the characters.
- Prof. Xavier (James McAvoy) volunteers the X-Men to rescue NASA astronauts in a space crisis.
- The rescue mission ends with Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) left behind and possessed by the Phoenix.
- Her return to the Xavier School triggers gossip and uneasiness, especially as Jean feels herself losing control, and liking it.
- Magneto apparently attacks the school, only for Phoenix Jean to “shut him down.”
- Aladdin (Mena Massoud) and Abu explore the Cave of Wonders, and survive its collapse when Abu touches something forbidden.
- Genie (Will Smith) is summoned (like in the trailer), followed by full “A Friend Like Me” musical sequence.
- Palace dance features Aladdin and Jasmine (Naomi Scott), with him coaxing her onto the magic carpet towards the “A Whole New World” sequence.
- Full sequence is shown of Mufasa (James Earl Jones) and young Simba (JD McCrary) talking about the Pridelands kingdom atop Pride Rock (Mufasa’s lines overheard in first teaser).
- Maleficent 2
- No footage, just a behind-the-scenes look.
- Toy Story 4 – First 17 minutes of the movie shown!
- Flashback to how Bo Peep (Annie Potts) was given away between the events of the second and third film.
- Montage of how young Andy played with his toys before eventually passing them on to Bonnie (Madeline McGraw) in the third movie.
- Extended sequence from trailer shows Woody (Tom Hanks) introducing Forky (Tony Hale) to the rest of the toys after Bonnie made him in class.
Being exclusive means no videos, but here’s hoping you enjoyed the descriptions we wrote down. And there was no peep on “Star Wars: Episode IX” despite its franchise being mentioned.