Amidst a recent buzz that Disney may have decided to retire actor Johnny Depp from the role of Captain Jack Sparrow on the Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise, there’s also talk that at the same time the movie series may be getting a reboot from the House of Mouse.
One reason being brought as to the sudden resurgence of discussion in Disney regarding the pirate series that began in 2003, based off a Disney theme park attraction, was that it would be considered as a possible fallback should the audience tire of Star Wars (somewhat likely) and Marvel (quite possibly) films coming every year.
In the years between The Curse of the Black Pearl and 2017’s Dead Men Tell No Tales, the Pirates franchise overall has expanded into alternate forms of media, such as books and videogames. The latter portion comes in the form of actual game titles based on Pirates of the Caribbean, and appearances of characters from the franchise in another game series. Here’s a handy-dandy list.
Pirates of the Caribbean Videogames
- Pirates of the Caribbean (Akella; Windows and Xbox; 2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (7 Studios; PlayStation 2 and Windows; 2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Tides of War (JOYCITY Corp.; Android and iOS mobile devices)
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online (Silver Tree Media; Windows and Mac OS X; 2007-2013)
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Traveller’s Tales; Windows, Mac OS X, Nintendo DS/3DS, PlayStation 3/Portable, Wii, Xbox 360; 2011)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned (Propaganda Games; Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, CANCELLED 2010)
Games with Pirates of the Caribbean Appearances
- Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (Capcom, NES, 1990)
- Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix, PlayStation 2, 2006)
- Disney Infinity (Avalanche Software, multiplatform, 2013-2016)
- Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, RELEASING in 2019)