The Disney and Square-Enix collaboration game franchise Kingdom Hearts has both enchanted and confused its fans and players with its sprawling world-building – or worlds-building, considering its universe composed of various settings from the many Disney works, plus original realms with elements from Square’s own stable of videogames. It’s really complicated.
Kingdom Hearts II is the third game in this series released in 2005, three years after the original and one after its direct sequel, the Game Boy Advance title Chain of Memories. This game has several new Worlds for Sora and his friends to explore, aside from a returning few.
Now we’ll list down the new gameplay areas of Kingdom Hearts II that Sora, Donald and Goofy explore as they try to confront the machinations of Organization XIII and find their lost friends. We’ll also include the returning World areas.
- The Land of Dragons – based on Mulan (1998)
- Beast’s Castle – based on Beauty and the Best (1991)
- Timeless River – based on classic Disney-Iwerks animation such as Steamboat Willie (1928)
- Port Royal – based on live-action film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Pride Lands – based on The Lion King (1994)
- Space Paranoids – based on live-action sci-fi movie Tron (1982), accessible through the computers of Hollow Bastion
- The World that Never Was – original World, headquarters of Organization XIII
- Keyblade Graveyard – original World, added in the Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix version
- Twilight Town – returning from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, an original area resembling a town with a permanently stuck setting sun
- Castle Oblivion – also from Chain of Memories
- Hollow Bastion – now expanded to its former form, Radiant Garden
- Disney Castle – now fully accessible rather than its dummied-out storyline-only appearance in the first game
- Olympus Coliseum – from Hercules (1997), now expanded with Hades’ Underworld
- 100 Acre Wood
- Halloween Town – from The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), now expanded with Christmas Town area
- Dark Meridian – the World of Darkness from the first Kingdom Hearts game