Ever since its establishment in 1987 the Disney Legend Awards honored people whose works have been integral to the success of the House of Mouse. Whether they were animators, theme park designers, musicians, film/TV production personnel, and artists, many have been named Disney Legends. Now, the 2019 awardees are revealed.
Disney announced the ten names that make up this year’s class of Disney Legends on May 16. Two are from the company’s theme park arm, two are from ABC News. The rest made their marks in Disney films and television. Some of them however, are from the MCU film franchise.
It’s perhaps appropriate that following the decade-one culmination of the MCU storyline, some of its stars will be honored. Some of them will continue with the franchise’s future installments and shows. One however, may have taken his final bow for the MCU. Becoming a Disney Legend makes a proper sendoff.
Here’s a list of the honorees for Disney Legends 2019:
- Robert Downey Jr. – Tony Stark/Iron Man, Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008-2019)
- Jon Favreau – Happy Hogan, MCU; also film director for “Iron Man” 1-2, “Jungle Book” and “Lion King” remakes (2016, 2019)
- Ming-Na Wen – voice of “Mulan” (1998); also Melinda May in ABC-MCU series “Agents of SHIELD”
- Hans Zimmer – composer for “Lion King” (animation and remake) and the first four “Pirates of the Caribbean” films
- James Earl Jones – voices of Darth Vader (“Star Wars”) and Mufasa (“Lion King”)
- Kenny Ortega – film director; currently famous for Disney Channel originals (“High School Musical” and “Descendants”)
- Bette Midler – film star for Disney (“Hocus Pocus” and Touchstone label
- Robin Roberts – ABC journalist
- Diane Sawyer – ABC journalist
- Barnette Ricci – Walt Disney Studios President/Show Director
- Wing Chao – Disney Parks and Resorts Asia Pacific VP (Development); Disney Imagineering Executive VP