As everyone already knows, the final segment of the “Star Wars” sequel trilogy, “The Rise of Skywalker,” premieres this December. Said to take place a year after “The Last Jedi,” it’ll see the last battle between the Resistance and the First Order, as well as between Rey and Kylo Ren.
The movie has been hyped by Lucasfilm to be the definitive end to the generation-spanning saga of the Skywalker Family. But before the conclusion of that tale is told, some side-stories are waiting to be read. By this we mean a number of spinoff books detailing adventures between the films.
Chief among these related print media for the “new” “Star Wars” is the “Journey to” books. Published by Disney-Lucasfilm and various other publishers, they tell of events happening to the sequel trilogy characters before the events of each movie. Just as “The Force Awakens” and “The Last Jedi” had them, “The Rise of Skywalker” will have its own books too:
Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- A Little Golden Book’s Star Wars: We Are the Resistance – October 4; retells scenes from all three “Star Wars” sequel trilogy films for young listeners
- Spark of the Resistance (Justina Ireland) – October 4; in which Rey, Poe and Rose answer a distress call from a planet under First Order occupation, wild flying beasts and a secret weapon
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Pop-up Galaxy (Matthew Reinhart) – October 8; revisit the whole saga, from prequel to original to sequel trilogies, all presented in interactive pop-ups
- Resistance Reborn (Rebecca Roanhorse) – November 12; about the rebuilding of the Resistance following their near-annihilation in “The Last Jedi”
- Force Collector (Kevin Shinick) – November 19; about a teenager with awakened Force abilities looking for answers about his past
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – The Galaxy Needs You (Caitlin Kennedy) – December 17
- The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Phil Szostak) – December 20
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – The Visual Dictionary (Pablo Hidalgo) – December 20