True, the trailer for “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” was the crowning glory of all media previews during Star Wars Celebration. But let’s not forget that there were other reveals that were made for new shows and games in the franchise. Some of these series would be among the first to stream on Disney+.
One of them is the never-expected but now-anticipated seventh season of “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.” We already had a taste of what’s to come thanks to an initial teaser, months ago. This time the trailer, shown during Star Wars Celebration, has more story substance.
The trailer airs during the first few seconds of this Star Wars Celebration video stream. Here’re some things we observed:
- Montage of the (un-helmeted) Clone Troopers doing drills while the discussion between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda in “Episode II: Attack of the Clones” is heard.
- Yoda’s refuting Obi-Wan’s praise of the Clones and remarking “Begun the Clone War has” rings as the Jedi hold funerals for the Knights and Padawans they have lost fighting the Separatists.
- Foreshadowing of Anakin Skywalker’s fall when a vision of Darth Vader’s helmet forms behind him.
- Darth Sidious dual wields lightsabers. Is this a reworking of the scene from “Episode III: Revenge of the Sith?”
- Flashbacks are seen by Yoda to the Anakin-Ahsoka Tahno duo of Knight and Padawan.
- Obi-Wan speaks to Qui-Gon Jin’s Force ghost about Anakin’s training.
- A new character dual wields twin lightsabers (four blades).
- Anakin duels Count Dooku/Darth Sidious and nearly finishes him? Another “Revenge of the Sith” reworking?
- Space battle sees Ahsoka in action.
- There’s a ritual involving what appear to be other people from Asajj Ventress’ race.
- Anakin is dogfighting in the skies over Naboo. Sequences also show him in combat alongside Obi-Wan, then Ahsoka, and finally all alone.
- Plenty of action set pieces are previewed as Anakin looks visibly separated from his fellow Jedi.
- Yoda faces a vision of a burning giant. Or is it an actual fire creature.
- “Ready, Skywalker is, to teach an apprentice,” Yoda says. “To let go of his pupil, a greater challenge it would be.” It seems Anakin is looking to the constant presence of a fellow Jedi at his side to guide him when he is lost. When even his Padawan leaves, he becomes open to darkness.
“Star Wars: The Clone Wars” season 7 from Lucasfilm Animation will premiere on Disney+ streaming.