A few years after British author J.K. Rowling began churning out her Harry Potter books, Irish novelist Eoin Colfer also began his book series Artemis Fowl, featuring the titular protagonist, a child criminal mastermind, and his adventures/misadventures with the underground fairy civilization. Now his story will be told by Disney.
Celebrated filmmaker Kenneth Branagh gets behind the wheel of the film adaptation of the first Artemis Fowl novel, detailing Artemis’ plot to make money from the fairies to fund his search for his missing father by kidnapping a fairy police officer. This magical crime would be the beginning of a grander quest and a most unlikely partnership between different species.
Here is a list of the main cast for the 2019 movie announced thus far:
- Ferdia Shaw as Artemis Fowl II, a criminal mastermind aged 12 during the first book, seeking to find his missing father and restore his family fortunes with a heist on the fairy “People” under the earth
- Lara McDonnel as Holly Short, fairy and Captain on the Lower Elements Police Recon (LEP-Recon) who is kidnapped by Artemis for a fairy ransom
- Nonso Anozie as (Domovoi) Butler, Fowl family butler and Artemis’ bodyguard/muscle
- Judi Dench as Root, Commander of the LEP
- Josh Gad as Mulch Diggums, dwarf and incarcerated criminal
- Miranda Raison as Angeline Fowl, Artemis’ mother grieving for her lost husband
- Nikesh Patel as Foaly, LEP tech advisor
- Joshua McGuire as Briar Cudgeon, LEP officer
- Tamara Smart as Juliet Butler, Butler’s niece
- Hong Chau as a character yet to be announced