Not just on the big screen, Walt Disney has also mastered the medium of television in his time to show a wide variety of stories on the small screen. This was the advent of the various Disney anthology TV series, which has run almost uninterrupted since 1954 until ending 2008.
Featuring miniseries, made-for-TV movies, snippets from animation and big-screen films and even serving as the network TV premiere venue of many Disney blockbusters, the Disney anthology series has provided some prime entertainment across the many variations of its title. Today, we’ll list all the variations in what the Disney anthology TV series has been called, how many seasons aired under each, and for how long.
- Walt Disney’s Disneyland (4 seasons, 1954-1958)
- Walt Disney Presents (3 seasons, 1958-1961)
- Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color (8 seasons, 1961-1969) – start of color programming
- The Wonderful World of Disney (10 seasons first run, 1969-1979)
- Disney’s Wonderful World (2 seasons, 1979-1981)
- Walt Disney (2 seasons, 1981-1983)
- The Disney Sunday Movie (3 regular seasons plus 1 special summer run, 1986-1988)
- The Magical World of Disney (9 seasons, 1988-1997)
- The Wonderful World of Disney (10 regular seasons second run, 1997-2008) (branding for special Disney TV events in 2012 and 2016)