Disney on the cable front is currently making big splashes with some of their current animated programming, from the Ducktales reboot to series adaptations of Animated Canon films like Tangled and Big Hero 6. But new shows are always being conceptualized and developed, with some having gotten previews shown recently.
The Annecy International Animated Film Festival has kicked off in Monday, June 11. While a spot was prominently given to Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2, Disney also made time to show teaser images of animated series they announced last year, and announce one new show to accompany them.
- Vikingskool – newly announced at the 2018 Annecy, an Irish-French-Norwegian co-production; follows the adventures of three Viking friends as they attend the titular Vikingskool, described as a “Top Gun” school for future Viking adventurers; due to premiere in late 2019 in Disney cable channels for Europe, Africa and the Middle East
- The Owl House – created by Dana Terrace, it focuses on normal human teen Luz, who stumbles into a portal to the Demon Realm and comes under the care of Eda the Owl Lady, an unconventional witch; despite being a magic-less human, Luz is determined to become a witch and makes herself Eda’s apprentice; will premiere in 2020
- The Rocketeer – a younger-oriented adaptation of Touchstone Pictures’ 1991 period superhero film, based on the same-named comic books; Kit Seacourt gets an unusual birthday gift: a rocket pack that marks her as the latest iteration of the retro superhero the Rocketeer; she blasts off for adventure with her gadget inventor friend and aircraft mechanic uncle; coming 2019 on Disney Junior
- 101 Dalmatian Street – another take on the popular Animated Canon entry, live-action adaptation and earlier animated spinoff; the Dalmatians, all with names starting with “D”, live in North London as interpreted by Disney in super-rich backgrounds; announced last year and set to premiere sometime in 2018
- Big City Greens – due to arrive this month on Disney Channel, this series is about naïve troublemaking country boy Cricket Green, who moves to the city with his farming family, and their livestock and everything from home