The 1998 entry to Disney’s storied Animated Canon, Mulan, has long been hyped to be eventually given a live-action adaptation, although this project has been under scrutiny too. Chinese audiences back then bemoaned the Disney-style alterations to the Mulan legend; and in response, Disney seems to be altering the story.
— Jo-Anne Rowney (@JoAnne_Rowney) June 7, 2018
One of the most interesting changes between the 1998 animated Mulan and the in-development live-action remake is the removal of the original love interest Captain Li Shang. Instead, an ensemble of new characters has been added to this retold version of the tale. To make things easier, here’s a list of confirmed cast members (so far) for the live-action Mulan.
- Liu Yifei/Crystal Liu (The Forbidden Kingdom) as Hua Mulan
- Xana Tang as Mulan’s sister
- Yoson An as Army recruit Chen Honghui
- Donnie Yen (Ip Man, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) as Army Commander Tung
- Ron Yuan (Netflix’s Marco Polo) as Army Sergeant Qiang
- Jet Li (Lethal Weapon 4, The Expendables) as the Emperor of China
- Utkarsh Ambudkar as Skatch, conman
- Gong Li (Memoirs of a Geisha) as a witch, main antagonist
Disney’s live-action Mulan won’t hit cinemas for quite a while, not until 2020.