“Not all heroes are super.” It’s one story element well known to publishers of superhero comics like Marvel. That’s why they’ve had some titles featuring ordinary folks doing extraordinary things. One example is Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby for Marvel in 1963.
Said comic book chronicles a special American commando team in Europe during World War II, and it features a cast of characters who eventually go into the period of Marvel Superheroes to this day. Of course, when Marvel Comics are adapted into movies, it’s inevitable some alterations would be done.
Today we’re listing the roster of the Howling Commandos as they appeared in the 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger from Marvel Studios. Interesting facts include the change in leaders, with film!Captain America replacing the comic-book main character Sgt. Nick Fury (Caucasian rather than the MCU’s African-American SHIELD Director).
- Captain America/Capt. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) – worked with the Howling Commandoes in the comics but only became their leader in the MCU
- Sgt. James Buchanan “Bucky” Barnes (Sebastian Stan) – worked alongside Cap with the Howling Commandoes in the comics, but only became a member in the MCU
- Corporal Timothy A.C. “Dum Dum” Dugan (Neal McDonough) – original comic-book Howling Commando; distinctive because of his mustache and bowler hat
- Private Gabriel Jones (Derek Luke) – original comic-book Howling Commando; a visible hallmark of the racial integration of the unit, being African-American, especially while taking place in-universe during WWII
- Montgomery Falsworth (JJ Feild) – known in the comic books as British commando Union Jack, part of the WWII super-team The Invaders; only became a Howling Commando in the MCU
- Private Jim Morita (Kenneth Choi) – a Nisei soldier and later addition to the comic-book Howling Commandoes; his lookalike descendant is Peter Parker’s school principal in Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Jacques Dernier (Bruno Ricci) – a French resistance fighter; occasionally allies with the Howling Commandos in the comics but only became a member in the MCU