Before Disney helped give it some feature-length film-producing clout for 1995’s Toy Story, the 3D animators of Pixar Studios have been making a number of short films, some of which have gone on to be award winners for pushing the envelope of computer animation; no wonder Disney eventually acquired them.
After they became the other production source of Disney animated feature-length films (alongside Walt Disney Animation Studios itself), Pixar continued making animation shorts, and started inserting them as extras in cinemas before the main feature. Here’s a list of Pixar shorts that have been paired with their Disney-Pixar big brothers.
- For the Birds, before Monsters, Inc. (2001)
- Boundin’, before The Incredibles (2004)
- One Man Band, before Cars (2006)
- Lifted, before Ratatouille (2007)
- Presto, before WALL-E (2008)
- Partly Cloudy, before Up (2009)
- Day & Night, before Toy Story 3 (2010)
- Toy Story Toons: Hawaiian Vacation, before Cars 2 (2011)
- Toy Story Toons: Small Fry, before The Muppets (2011, a live-action film)
- La Luna, before Brave (2012)
- Toy Story Toons: Partysaurus Rex, before Finding Nemo 3D re-release (2012)
- The Blue Umbrella, before Monsters University (2013)
- Party Central, before Muppets: Most Wanted (2014, a live-action film)
- Lava, before Inside Out (2015)
- Sanjay’s Super Team, before The Good Dinosaur (2015)
- Piper, before Finding Dory (2016)
- Lou, before Cars 3 (2017)
- Bao, before Incredibles 2 (2018) Coming soon from this writing!