Today we have a list of entries in the Disney Animated Film Canon that have received live-action adaptations from Walt Disney Pictures themselves. Note that the main list here will be those movies that got “straight” plot adaptations into live-action or close to it, while the secondary list is for films that bear little resemblance to their original animated version.
- 101 Dalmatians (1996), from original 1961 animated film
- Cinderella (2015), from original 1950 animated film
- The Jungle Book (2016), from original 1967 animated film
- Beauty and the Beast (2017), from original 1991 animated film
- The Lion King (2019), upcoming adaptation of original 1994 animated film featuring live animals “characterized” with CG animation like in The Jungle Book (2016)
Here are the Disney live-action adaptations that bear little resemblance to their sources.
- The Jungle Book (1994), notable for portraying Mowgli (Jason Scott Lee) as an analogue to Tarzan
- Alice in Wonderland (2010), an alternate take on the original 1951 animated film, but with an older Alice (Mia Wasikowska) and Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter; had a sequel in 2016
- Maleficent (2014), a radical retelling of Sleeping Beauty (1959) with the evil Fairy Maleficent (Angelina Jolie) as the protagonist
- Pete’s Dragon (2016), a straight drama reboot of the original 1977 musical film that has animation mixed with live-action
On this note, there are two live-action Disney films this 2018 that spin off from original animated (or live action-animated) versions.
- Christopher Robin, based on Winnie the Pooh animated Disney films from 1977 and 2011; this movie stars a now-adult Christopher Robin (Ewan McGregor) who must reawaken his childhood imagination with the help of Pooh and friends.
- Mary Poppins Returns, a direct sequel to the 1964 mixed animation-live action film with Emily Blunt taking up the title role from Julie Andrews