With roughly two weeks to go before the Blu-ray release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on April 5, fans of the legendary movie franchise may see themselves lining up once again just in time to get their latest copy.
As part of the promotions for the digital and Blu-ray release, Lupita Nyong’o was kind enough to share via her Tweeter page a brand-new bonus clip showing a behind the scenes look on how her movie’s character, the wise and multi-centenarian Maz Kanata, was brought to life using state of the art and cutting edge movie technology. Watch this.
— Lupita Nyong'o (@Lupita_Nyongo) March 21, 2016
The clip showcases the brilliance of the highly talented and skilled people of Industrial Light and Magic (ILM), coupled with the extensive motion capture process involved to bring life to Maz Kanata. The same technique was also employed when Andy Serkis portrayed the role of Supreme Leader Snoke. The video clip is an outstanding testament on how the movie franchise has evolved since the day of its prequels.
Director J.J. Abrams reportedly intended to use puppets for Maz Kanata and the rest of the alien life forms in the films. But seeing how seamlessly ILM executes its motion capture technology proved that having Lupita Nyong’o and Andy Serkis doing the acting themselves was a sound decision.
Episode VII’s Blu-ray and DVD release promise a great collection of cut scenes, special features, and trailers among many others. According to Starwars.com, the Blu-ray edition will have exclusive features such as:
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others
- Plus Deleted Scenes.
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens will arrive in Digital HD on April 1, and Blu-ray and DVD on April 5.