In 2014, Disney fans were caught by surprise when “Maleficent” premiered. This alternate telling of the “Sleeping Beauty” story, but with the titular witch as the protagonist was a hit. The fact that Angelina Jolie owned and mastered her role as Maleficent was a bonus. Now the “evil” fairy returns.
Joachim Rønning takes over from Robert Stromberg in directing “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil,” due later this year. It follows up sometime after the first film. Maleficent and Queen Aurora (Elle Fanning) are unofficial co-leaders of the combined kingdom of men and fairy creatures. When diplomacy with a neighboring realm threatens the inhabitants of the Moors, fairy and queen might yet see themselves on opposite sides.
Walt Disney Pictures has already brought out the first trailer. Let’s look over the scenes:
- Voiceover by Queen Ingrith (Michelle Pfeiffer) telling the story between Maleficent and Aurora. Only this time, it’s the traditional “Sleeping Beauty” narrative instead of what actually happened in-film.
- Some human hunters find their way into the Moors. Then they run into Maleficent. Guess what happens.
- Prince Philip (now played by Harris Dickinson) seems to have proposed to Aurora.
- Aurora, Philip and Maleficent engage in diplomacy with Queen Ingrith and King John (Robert Lindsay). A heated exchange between Ingrith and Maleficent leads to trouble.
- Maleficent attacks Ingrith’s soldiers and flees, leaving Aurora aghast. Why did she do that?
- A giant flock of birds fly towards Ingrith’s castle.
- Cue magical red explosions and Maleficent in the midst of them.
- This time, Maleficent laughs as the titles rolls.
“Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” premieres in cinemas on October 18.