When Marvel Studios released their first trailer for “Spider-Man: Far from Home,” fans tended to assume it was a prequel. Their opinion was that it took place before 2018’s “Avengers: Infinity War” where Peter Parker ultimately got “Thanos-snapped.” Such speculation died down with the release of this new movie trailer.
This fact was pretty much reinforced by current Spider-Man actor Tom Holland, who introduced the second “Far from Home” trailer. In his signature “bad secret-keeper” style, he confirms that the film happens after “Avengers: Endgame,” which premiered last month. With that, let’s do a list of major plot points revealed:
- Peter Parker (Holland) is mourning the death of his mentor figure, Tony Stark/Iron Man as depicted in “Endgame.”
- Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau) notes to Peter that if Tony hadn’t known that Peter would return after the Thanos snap was undone, he might not have done his heroic sacrifice.
- Even NYPD cops see Spidey as possibly trying to fill the void by becoming the “new” Iron Man. Peter denies this (“I’m too busy doing your work.”)
- Apparently Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) has been trying to contact Peter. He just puts the director of SHIELD on voicemail.
- Peter’s high-school class goes on a summer vacation field trip to Europe. Cue Flash Thompson (Tony Revolori) posing with historical re-enactors at the San Marco in Venice (and getting a groin attack from a passerby).
- Peter seems to be getting closer with Michelle “MJ” Jones (Zendaya), with his best friend Ned (Jacob Batalon) as the snarky side witness.
- We get to see a follow-up on Fury recruiting Peter/Spider-Man for a mission. Here he meets Quentin Beck (Jake Gyllenhaal), a costumed figure from Earth, “but not ours” according to Fury.
- Apparently the various uses of the Infinity Stones on Earth tore a hole between dimensions, dumping Beck and several dangerous elemental-based beings on their doorstep.
- Peter learns the other Avengers are busy elsewhere, and all SHIELD has left to turn to is the “Friendly Neighborhood” Spider-Man. Fury lampshades his “veteran hero” reputation by reminding Pete he’s gone to space already.
- Apparently Michelle has already figured out that Peter is Spider-Man.
- Peter discusses the points of heroism with Beck. The latter says that while he understands Pete wanting to keep a normal life outside of costume, “saving the world requires sacrifice” and that “sometimes people die.”
- Seeing the damage the Elementals do spurs Peter to embrace his possible legacy as the next Iron Man. Cue him taking on the Elementals in his new black covert-ups suit.
- The classic 1966 “Spider-Man” animated intro (rescored by Mark Giacchino) returns from “Homecoming” as possibly the default theme for for MCU Spidey.
- Happy tries to evacuate Peter’s friends in a Stark jet during an Elemental attack. He gets distracted when his explanation of “working with Spider-Man” is misheard as “working for Spider-Man.” Cue exploding jet.
“Spider-Man: Far from Home” also stars Cobie Smoulders, JB Smoove, Martin Starr, Marisa Tomei, Angourie Rice and Hemky Madera. The film premieres on July 2.